Education Cabinet Secretary, Professor George Magoha, has accepted his mistake and apologized after remarks associating a female NTV journalist Rukia Bulle with an outlawed terrorist group.
Magoha appealed to the concerns raised by the Muslim leaders led by the Supreme Council of Kenyan Muslims (Supkem) Hassan Ole Naado, who urged President Uhuru Kenyatta to sack him.
The Education CS met with Muslim leaders and offered his apology in person to NTV reporter Rukia Bulle as well as the Muslim community and Kenyans at large, in a bid to deescalate the incident.
Following the meeting with Magoha, Naado said they accepted his apology and pardoned him over the remarks since Bulle herself had also forgiven him.
According to National Muslim Leaders Forum (Namlef) chairman Abdullahi Abdi, the issue concerning the CS and Bulle has now been resolved.
“He humbled himself in front of us. He apologized to the lady directly and to us on behalf of the Muslim Umma. I believe the apology was sincere and ask the Muslim Umma to accept it. We the leaders have accepted the apology and Rukia too on behalf of the Muslim umma,” said Abdi.
This comes after the Muslim Leaders earlier this Tuesday questioned Magoha’s insensitive sentiments.
Magoha’s verbal attack on the lady Journalist occurred during an event at Pumwani Girls and Pumwani Boys Secondary Schools in Nairobi as he laid the foundation stone for the second phase of Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) junior classrooms.
Those present as he offered his apology included; Naado, Abdi, and NTV journalist Rukia.
The meeting with the CS was also attended by Muslim Women Caucus official Fauzia Hassan, Association of Muslim lawyers in Kenya chairperson Khadija Mohamed, Muslim Media Practitioners of Kenya chairman Juma Namlola, and Namlef Vice chairman Al-Hajj Yusuf Murigu.