On Monday, the lifeless body of an 18-year-old Spanish footballer who had been missing for three days, was discovered on a train track in Seville.
Alvaro Prieto, an engineering student and a youth player of Cordoba (second division team) disappeared last Thursday in Seville.
His last known location was the Santa Justa train station, where he was thrown off a train for not having a ticket and a search had been underway for days.
In a startling turn of events, a journalist reporting live on the search for the footballer, spotted a body wedged between two train carriages.
The deceased was wearing the same clothes Prieto had been wearing when he was reported missing.
His anguished mum, Julia Lopez said in a radio interview over the weekend she feared the teenager had been run over or abducted.
According to his mother, he had purchased a train ticket to return to Cordoba.
However, he was unable to use it as his phone’s battery had died and was unable to show he had bought the ticket earlier.
Subcribe to Switch TV for more exciting content
Cordoba CEO Antonio Fernandez Monterrubio sent his condolences to Prieto’s family in a video on social media platform X, formerly Twitter.”Our most sincere condolences to the family, friends and teammates of Alvaro Prieto. They have our unconditional support. And we thank everyone for joining us in these difficult times,” he said.
Alvaro was seen as one of Cordoba’s most promising youth team players and was its leading goalscorer this year.
A police investigation into the tragedy is currently underway.