WhatsApp Image 2025-10-29 at 12.30.25 PM

Prince Harry and Meghan plan return to UK with children

9a79f680-9c35-11f1-b83d-b14723f923d2.jpg

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to move their family back to Britain, six years after leaving royal duties and settling in California.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to relocate from the United States later this month with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet. The family is expected to live in a private residence outside London rather than a royal property.

The move would mark a significant change for the couple, who have made California their home since 2020. But it does not signal a return to royal life.

Harry and Meghan are expected to remain private individuals and there are no plans for either of them to resume official royal duties. Their children are expected to begin school in Britain in September.

King Charles was reportedly informed of the plans on Sunday. Buckingham Palace has not publicly commented, but a source close to the couple confirmed that the reports of the move were accurate.

The King has welcomed the prospect of seeing more of his son and grandchildren. His relationship with Harry has shown signs of improvement in recent months, although the wider family tensions have not disappeared.

Duke and Duchess of Sussex’ with daughter Lilibet and son Archie

Harry, Meghan and their children visited the King in July. It was the first time Charles had seen Archie and Lilibet in person since 2022. The meeting was described by the Palace as a private family occasion.

The couple had not returned to Britain together since Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral in 2022.

Their return also comes against the backdrop of Harry’s long-running dispute over security arrangements in Britain.

The Duke has argued that his family is not adequately protected when he returns to the UK after losing automatic police protection following his decision to step back as a working royal. He lost a legal challenge against the security arrangements last year.

Harry has previously said those concerns have made him reluctant to bring Meghan and their children to Britain.

The couple’s decision to return therefore raises questions about how they will manage their lives in the UK while remaining outside the working royal family.

Their presence is also likely to be closely watched ahead of next year’s Invictus Games in Birmingham, the international sporting event Harry founded for wounded, injured and sick service personnel and veterans.

David Wiseman, chief programmes and strategy officer at the Invictus Games Foundation, welcomed the prospect of Harry being back in Britain.

“I will be really pleased to have him back in the country,” he said, adding that he hoped the move would go smoothly and that the children would settle into school.

The move comes after years of public disagreements between Harry and members of the royal family. Since settling in California, the couple have spoken openly about their experiences within the monarchy, including in their Netflix documentary and Harry’s memoir, “Spare”.

Relations with the King have appeared to soften, but Harry’s relationship with his elder brother, Prince William, remains strained. Reuters reported that William was also informed of the couple’s plans.

For now, the Sussexes’ return appears less like a restoration of their former royal role and more like a family decision bringing their children closer to Britain and allowing them to spend more time with relatives while maintaining a private life.

About the Author

WhatsApp Image 2025-10-29 at 12.30.25 PM

Get the latest and greatest stories delivered straight to your phone. Subscribe to our Telegram channel today!

Prince Harry and Meghan plan return to UK with children