Gianni Infantino has faced fresh criticism. The FIFA president was accused of creating a crisis. Richard Masters made the remarks to the BBC. The Premier League chief called the plan self-inflicted.
“This is a problem of FIFA’s making,” Masters said.
A private stake in the World Cup had been proposed. The plan was later withdrawn after strong opposition.
UEFA had rejected the proposal
The proposal was rejected by UEFA. Its 55 national associations stood together. The World Cup was said to be too important. It was argued that private ownership could alter football.
UEFA also said FIFA had lost its confidence. The proposal was withdrawn on August 1. That decision was welcomed by UEFA. But calls for wider reform were renewed.
England’s position has shifted

The English FA also withdrew its support. Masters backed that decision.
“I think it’s a bad idea,” he said.
He said FIFA should protect the tournament. The competition was described as a trust. It was not seen as an asset to be sold.
Pressure is now building
Infantino is due to seek re-election. His position has come under greater scrutiny. Masters said a rival could emerge. He called for a unity candidate. Such a candidate, he said, should favour reform.
Changes to the president’s role were also suggested. The comments add to pressure on FIFA leadership. They come after a major governance dispute.
FIFA faces a trust question

The dispute has raised wider questions. They concern money and decision-making. They also concern who controls football’s biggest event. UEFA has called for a deeper review.
It said the task of restoring trust had begun. For Infantino, the political challenge is growing. But the next FIFA election will decide his future.












