Sweden International and Former Manchester City striker John Guidetti has recreated his iconic childhood photo with Kenyan teammates
John Guidetti, a man from humble beginnings in Kenya has played for Manchester City, Celtic, Celta de Vigo, Deportivo Alavés, and many top clubs in Europe.
After 20 years since he left Impala BrommaBoys, here in Nairobi, Guidetti traced his football roots and recreated the iconic image, and shared it on his Instagram.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel to catch your favorite Switch TV shows.
Guidetti’s football career started at IF Brommapojkarna’s youth system in 1998 but was forced to make the move to Nairobi’s Impala BrommaBoys Football Academy. This was in 2002 when his father got a job in Nairobi.
After one year with the Impala club, Guidetti moved to Mathare United’s Academy (MYSA). In 2004, he left and joined Ligi Ndogo. In 206, he returned to Sweden and rejoined IF Brommapojkarna. A total of five years shaped the striker’s career, in the following years.
On his time living in Kenya, Guidetti reminisced, “That period was very important for my development, both on and off the pitch. I played football barefoot in the slum areas of Nairobi and I met local people and their culture. I still have a strong link with Kenya and every time I go back there I always get a warm welcome.”
At 16 years of age, in April 2008, Guidetti signed a three-year deal with Manchester City.
Here are the teams he has played for;
- AIK Fotboll (15th July 2022 – ongoing)
- Deportivo Alavés (1st July 2020 – 15/07/2022)
- Hannoverscher Sportverein 1896 (17th January 2020 – 30th June 2020)
- Deportivo Alavés (02nd July 2018 – 17th January 2020)
- Deportivo Alavés (08th January 2018 – 1st July 2018)
- Real Club Celta de Vigo (11th July 2015 – 08th January 2018)
- Manchester City FC (1st June 2015 – 1st July 2015)
- Celtic FC (4th September 2014 – 1st June 2015)
- Manchester City FC (1st July 2014 – 4th September 2014)
- Stoke City FC (14th January 2014 – 1st July 2014)
- Manchester City FC (1st July 2012 – 14th January 2014)
- Manchester City Under 21 (1st July 2012 – 30th June 2013)
- Sweden (1st January 2012 – 7th October 2020)
- Feyenoord Rotterdam (31st August 2011 – 30th June 2012)
- Manchester City FC (1st January 2011 – 31st August 2011)
- Burnley FC (1st November 2010 – 1st January 2011)
- Manchester City FC (1st June 2010 – 14th October 2010)
- IF Brommapojkarna (1st April 2010 – 1st June 2010)
- Manchester City FC (1st March 2010 – 31st March 2010)
- Sweden Under 21 (1st January 2010 – 26th August 2015)
- Sweden Under 19 (1st January 2010 – 31st December 2010)
Guidetti played for Sweden at several junior levels before getting his first senior international call-up on February 29, 2012, against Croatia. He won the 2015 European Championship for the under-21 team. At both the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 UEFA Euro, he played for Sweden’s senior squad.